Monarchs Bitten By Hammerheads


Silver Spring, MD – At the midway point of the season, Real Maryland FC is still hanging in the top half of the table.  The Monarchs suffered two tough defeats this weekend at the hands of Harrisburg away on Saturday and then at home on Sunday against Wilmington.  


The Islanders got on the board quickly when Tiyi Shipalane put away a goal from Jason Pelletier in the 5th minute of play. The Islanders came out flying with long services wide to their forwards who spread the Monarch defense.  No long after, the services took effect and an Islander was taken down in the box by Real Maryland FC’s defense causing a penalty kick in the 16th minute.  Nicki Patterson drove the ball home to the dismay of the stunned Monarchs. 


The monarchs tried to rally, but after heavy rains earlier in the day, the team couldn’t find their footing or their game.  Again, the Islanders pressured the Monarchs by penetrating their right flank and making it around the outside back.  This time, Tiyi Shipalane showed his cheeky moves as he dribbled past numerous Monarch defenders.  After drawing the Real Maryland FC defense, Shipalane rewarded Jason Pelletier with a nicely slotted ball back to the top of the box.  With the Monarch defense shifted, Pelletier calmly turned and shot a low skimmer off the post and into the goal. 


By making some tactical adjustments at half-time, Coach Hudson tried to inspire some life back into the squad.  The Monarchs reacted well and began to press.  But, after numerous attempts on goal without success, the Monarchs were left open to the counter-attack.  In the 59th minute, Tiyi Shipalane walked in alone on GK David Kern where he netted his second of the match and the fourth for Harrisburg. 


Still licking their wounds from the previous night’s thrashing, the Monarchs found themselves fighting on home ground as they took on the Wilmington Hammerheads on Father’s Day.  Though the final tally was similar to that of the day before, the game was played better by Real Maryland FC.


The game remained scoreless for most of the first half, with some great chances by both teams.  New comer Cecil Lewis and just back from injury, Marc Herald-Gracien created some great one-on-one opportunities.  Unfortunately, neither could get the ball by Wilmington GK Daryl Sattler. 


In the 34th minute, Wilmington broke the stalemate.  Off of a poor clearance by Real Maryland FC, Zeke Dombrowski found the ball and put away the opportunity.  The Hammerheads put away another right at the end of the first half.  On a controversial call in stoppage time, Wilmington was awarded a penalty kick that was driven home by Jamie Watson.  Heading into the locker room, the Monarchs found themselves down again at the half.


In the second half of the match, Real Maryland FC tried to battle back, but it didn’t seem that the fates were on their side.  On a breakaway situation, Marc Herald-Gracien was called offsides on a ball that was played through by the Wilmington Defense.  In the 74th minute, Watson put the game away on an assist by Bundy to close out the game 3-0.


The Monarchs look to stay in the top half of the table when they next take on Crystal Palace Baltimore in a game scheduled for Friday, June 26th in Baltimore.  Real Maryland FC will return home on July 11th when they take on the Pittsburgh Riverhounds.  The game will start at 6pm at Richard Montgomery High School.  

Real Maryland FC participates in the Second Division of the United Soccer Leagues. All 2009 Regular Season Home Games will be played at Lester Stadium at Richard Montgomery High School in Rockville, MD. For more information or tickets, please visit or contact General Manager David Noyes at (301) 933-6460.



A1 Uniform Sales Company A1 Uniform Sales Company Main Door Realty Laniado - Wholesale Maintenance Products
Total Quality Building Services Beltway Disposal Services Rockville Wellness Center