Monarchs and Eagles Finish 0-0


Silver Spring, MD – Through a constant rain, Real Maryland FC and Charlotte managed to finish the game in a 0-0 tie.  From start to end it was a back and forth game with both teams seeing their chances to pull ahead.  The result keeps the Monarchs (2-3-3) one point behind the Eagles (3-3-1) in the standings and in fourth place.

The Monarchs came out in a fury and had the first shot from a combination pass in the midfield to Ben Hunter who ripped one on goal, but was denied by Charlotte’s GK Corbin Waller in the 9th minute.  This was just one of 14 shots the Monarchs had on the night.  Real Maryland drove at Charlotte hard, but the Eagles defense managed to control the pressure and wait for their opportunities.

In the 14th minute, on a clear counter-attack it looked to sure to be a goal for Charlotte when Miguel Ferrer smashed one of his three shot on the night to the upper right hand side of the Monarchs goal.  Real Maryland’s GK Brian Levey managed some how to get the extension and parry the ball wide for a corner kick.  The Monarchs continued pour on the offense as the rain continued to come down, but Charlotte was comfortable to sit back and wait for their chances.

Going into halftime the two teams were even at 0-0.

Things remained the same with the heavy Monarch pressure as the second half open up.  In the 47th minute, a ball popped out to the top of Charlotte’s 18 yard box to the Monarchs Alan Sanchez who attempted a high looping volley over the GK’s reach, but was denied.  The Eagles marched back up the field and managed to get a free kick in the 49th minute.  Off of the ensuing free kick, Charlotte’s Jo Connor got a header on a bending ball, but the Monarchs keeper was able to easily scoop it up.

In the 58th minute, Monarch’s substitution Israel Sesay broke past a charlotte defender with a great step-over move in the box.  His shot on goal was deflected and landed at the feet of Jyler Noviello who only managed a shot at the Charlotte GK.  In the 63rd minute Charlotte was awarded a free kick from about 30 yards out, but was unable to do anything with it as it one hopped in the box and Real Maryland’s keeper stepped up to make the save.

In the 65th minute, Sanchez found himself at the top of Charlotte’s Box with another chance to volley a ball into the back of the net, but Corbin Waller was there to punch the ball over.

In the 79th minute, the Monarchs had thought they had finally found the answer when Jyler Noviello broke free on a clear break away.  As the keeper approached, Noviello hit a laser past the oncoming keeper only to watch the ball hit the post squarely and bounce out.  It was stunning, but not something new as the Monarchs have hit the post or cross bar 7 times this season without the ball going into the goal.

In the 81st minute #6 Nate Baker appeared to be taken down for a foul, but no whistle followed.  Expressing his opinion of the play, Baker was sent off with a red card for abusive language leaving the Monarchs with 10 men to finish the game.

The two teams went back and forth without any real chances in the final 10 minutes of play.  As the rain fell steadily, the game ended in a 0-0 tie. 

The Monarchs hit the road where they travel down to Charleston next Saturday, May 29th to face the first place Battery.  Charlotte will travel back up north once again to play the Harrisburg City Islanders.

For more information on Real Maryland FC or its Future Monarch Programs, please visit  


A1 Uniform Sales Company A1 Uniform Sales Company Main Door Realty Laniado - Wholesale Maintenance Products
Total Quality Building Services Beltway Disposal Services Rockville Wellness Center