Report: Real Maryland 0- Western Mass 1

Pioneers crash the Real party


A 33rd minute strike by Neil Krause was all Western Mass needed to defeat Real Maryland in the Monarch’s first ever USL-2 match at the Maryland SoccerPlex.

There was question as to whether or not the game would be played at all as heavy rains pounded the SoccerPlex all afternoon.

The opening half an hour was a cagy affair with the play bogged down in midfield. The skidding ball along the wet surface made it hard for both teams to gain control and establish any sort of rhythm.

It wasn’t until the 33rd minute, however, that the floods began to involve Real Maryland. Monarch’s center back Philippe Bissohong misplayed a long ball and Krause took full advantage, taking a touch before dispatching the ball into the far corner of Emilio Zelaya’s net with a thunderous finish.

Referee Bryan Roslund halted the match in the 40th minute due to lightning in the area. After a 30 minute delay, the teams came back onto the field and finished the half and halftime was shortened to a quick water break.

Early in the second half, Monarch’s head coach Silvino Gonzalo made two substitutions which almost paid immediate dividends. In the 49th minute, William Brindley made way for Victor Ramirez and in the 55th minute Jose Maldonado entered the game for Muner Hassen.

A minute later, Ramirez stole the ball at the top of the Western Mass penalty area. Maldonado stepped up to the loose ball and fired a low drive that looked destined for the far corner, but pioneers goalkeeper Matt Glaeser got down well to make a crucial save.

Eight minutes later, Maldonado and Ramirez combined again. This time it was Ramirez’s turn and his shot from the right hand side of the box beat Glaeser, but cannoned off the crossbar.

The Monarchs continued to attack, but their task was made harder as they were reduced to ten men. Winger Teodoro Ramierez was shown the red card in the 67th minute for his second bookable offense.

Western Mass then had a golden opportunity to put the game away in the 80th minute. Omar McFarlane weaved his way past Dennis Alas and Devlin Barnes on the left wing and got to the byline before sending a pin-point cross to a wide open Everson Maciel at the far post. But the Brazilian somehow contrived to volley the ball over the net when it seemed easier to score.

Real Maryland continued to press forward and create half chances, but nothing of note and the final whistle came, leaving the Monarchs feeling as gloomy as the weather.

“I’m sad about the defeat,” Maldonado said after the match. “The positive thing about the game is we fought hard for 90 minutes. We just couldn’t put the ball in the net.” We’re very thankful with the fans that came out in this inclement weather. We’re just going to keep working hard and turn things around next week. ”

Real Maryland will be back in action next Saturday night versus the Pittsburg Riverhounds at 7:30 at the Maryland SoccerPlex.      


Click here for the official USL statistical match report:

Click here for post game comments from Real Maryland coaches and players



A1 Uniform Sales Company A1 Uniform Sales Company Main Door Realty Laniado - Wholesale Maintenance Products
Total Quality Building Services Beltway Disposal Services Rockville Wellness Center